Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I was thrifty, when thrifty wasn't coooool.

It's so funny how being thrifty and making clothes and soap and wipes, reusing things.... that is so popular now. This was just the way I grew up. You have all these domestic divas- Martha Stewart, Rachel Ray, Paula Deen and then all the blogs out there on how to be thrifty and "did you know that you can reuse a toilet plunger handle, spray paint it and it makes the best towel hanger?" Good for them, seriously thats great.
I must say we would have been the hippest family on the block and my mom would have been the Queen of the thrify blogging world. Ever hear of box beds? We had them, did you? Probably not. Only the super elite used them. Now I know there are many uses for banana boxes, just ask Grampie, and some of you out there probably now a million ways to reuse them. But instead of using them to display clothing at Bernie's, we had box beds. I will post a tutorial on them in my next post, so stay tuned.
Or how about Mother Goose popcorn, the ultimate afterschool snack. Mom had a bottle of red food coloring, and when I say bottle, I mean it was atleast 32 oz. And according to her she got it from Grampie, need I say more. Nothing better than candied popcorn, tinted red. My kids love it, maybe if they had it everyday afterschool for 3 yrs they would have a different opinion. Don't get me wrong, it's good everyonce in awhile, like once every two years.
Who can forget Knox Blocks- they were such a family fav we almost served them at Anthony's wedding dinner. Seriously!!
The ultimate diy project was turning the back porch into an extra room. Again with Grampies help. It had its own back door and window a/c unit, and the best front door. The copper doors!!
Or how about having sewing lessons every summer, I get angry just thinking about sewing. But I did it and even made an outfit or two. And yes I did wear them, my senior year- I cared about nothing and my first pregnancy. I would much rather cut out the pattern and then have mom sew it, or better yet let her have ALL the fun.
A word on thrift stores, I see all these stories of people who can't believe what they found at Goodwill, Savers or whatever. Well believe it sister, and who knew they've been there forever. Take a peek in my closet. or my sisters or my moms or my sister in laws .....
I guess my ranting on and on is just to say WHO NEW WE WERE COOL ALL ALONG ( well I did I just didn't want to say anything)

1 comment: